Wednesday, June 07, 2006

I am a Tramp!

Life gallops on at a reckless pace
I know not where it will stop
The reins are not in my hands
My feet not in the stirrups

sam


If you love somebody, let them go, for if they return, they were always yours. And if they don't, they never were. Khalil Jibran, one of the greatest American thinkers averred many many years ago. Not only is Khalil my fav – I have read ten of his books -- his lines are etched in my mind like wrinkles upon a nomad of 100. I’ve no reason to feel unloved yet by some medieval, weird deep rhyme inside me I do. Only at times. I take solace from Jibran’s timeless words. Then there is another dusk.

I was woken today by soft chimes of the cell phone. Still half-asleep, I wished it were that ‘special’ someone saying good-morning, Samy. Long back I used to get such calls. Sweet interludes. Not anymore. It turned out to be some silly girl trying to sell me a credit card. I put my head down on the pillow, the ac-chill wheezing through the room. Do you require the silver tinted, gold-hued card? The poor girl went on. No, I said in a threatening tenor; I need someone to make me feel naughty. The chick hung up!

I tried to close my eyes in an effort to shut out the hurt. There are times when one wants to snort joyful volumes of that familiar scent. The tutting indulgence. The cold combination of garish stuff and bland, beautiful eyes. Innocent face on my bracing biceps. Looking outwards in the same direction without any purpose. Without reason. Trying to find some arcane excuse. Make some reason out of life’s complex turns.

I am a tramp, I am sure. Nobody gets my message!

Samy

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

why do u say that? I think you are the most kind guy I have ever seen in my life. This is not buttering but true?
Only thing is that you never look this way?:(

Anjali

Anonymous said...

ohhhhhhhhhhh! Thats too beautifully told.

Yeh haath hamay de de thakur!
ha ha

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I am getting to know the various shades of Sameer.

Very good.

Anonymous said...

the test of a true man is not his words but his deeds. Having known you personally, I think, you are deliberately being low-profile here. Is this writer's license???

Who says you are a tramp. You are smart, intelligent, good-looking, cute, talkative, ......! Must I reveal more.

You never fail to fascinate us.

Bharat

Anonymous said...

I so loved this short piece. I read you very often.

Hagg

Anonymous said...

I think u were harsh to the poor sales-lady. Thats her job. You could not have taken the call.

Anonymous said...

That's cruel.. Calling a lady who is trying to do her job a chick is derogatory. Samy, you need to develop better manners.

Sameer Bhat said...

Shweta:

Chick is an American slang term for young woman. I don't think it is derogatory at all. Infact if you are familiar with US literature or if u ever been to US, you might know that the term chick-lit is used by major newspapers like NY times. It means girl literature, girly mags --
by the way.

Also, the term chick as a genre has been claimed as a type of post-feminist modern theme.

Thanks
Sameer

Anonymous said...

You did the right thing. No one has the right to call you in ur sweet sleep. It is against a SC ruling, which forbids company's from harrassing people unnecessarily and against will.

A splendid, breathtaking note tho.

Suhrit, Bangalore

Anonymous said...

Still sam has this thing of liking only a few people, whom he is fond of and adores/Rest he can be bad to all.
;(

Anonymous said...

Sameer:

I think you are entitled to your views. Your style of expression is very good and yes, you are slightly harsh to people at times but that is justified.

I've been reading you for a while and my overall impression of you is: Decent writing/Never going over-board and out and out romantic.

Janaki

Anonymous said...

And all this time I thought Khalil Jibran was an Arab.

Anonymous said...

And all this time I thought Khalil Gibran was an Arab.

Sameer Bhat said...

Jibran...is a lebanese-american.

That makes him a arab-american.

sam